Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Hi, we are ecobee.
ecobee introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat to help millions of consumers save money, conserve energy, and bring home automation into their lives. That was just the beginning. We continue our pursuit to create technology that brings peace of mind into the home and allows people to focus on the moments that matter most. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
In 2021, ecobee became a subsidiary of Generac Power Systems.Generac introduced the first affordable backup generator and later created the category of automatic home standby generator. The company is committed to sustainable, cleaner energy products poised to revolutionize the 21st century electrical grid. Together,we take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting, connected home revolution.
Why we love to do what we do:
We’re helping build the world of tomorrow with solutions that improve everyday life while making a positive impact on the planet. Our products and services work in harmony to provide comfort, efficiency, and peace of mind for millions of homes and businesses. While we’re proud of what we’ve done so far, there’s still a lot we can do—and you can be part of it.
Join our extraordinary team.
We're a rapidly growing global tech company headquartered in the heart of downtown Toronto with offices in Toronto, Canada and Leeds, UK (and remote ecopeeps in the US). We get to work with some of North America and UK's leading professionals. Our colleagues are proud to bring their authentic selves to work, confident that what we do is grounded in a greater purpose. We’re always looking for curious, talented, and passionate people to join our team.
Who You’ll Be Joining:
The Energy Services team’s vision is for thoughtful homes to work together for 100% clean and affordable energy. Our team is entirely focused on planet positivity, and you will be a key stakeholder in bringing that vision to life. eco+ has already helped millions of users use cleaner and cheaper energy and is growing fast to keep energy costs low for more homeowners across North America. The eco+ product is used by more than 70 utility partners and is revolutionizing how the grid responds to peak demand, thanks to Machine Learning models that optimize comfort and energy savings for customers.
You will join a growing team where you will be helping shape a culture that empowers the team to make great technical decisions, drive strategic choices, actively improve on our processes, and mentor others. You will be working closely with the marketing and sales teams, hearing client feedback firsthand, allowing you to collaborate with the Product Manager to consistently improve the product and the roadmap. The team is highly data-driven and is consistently focused on improving our culture and processes. You’ll benefit from monthly learning days, regular guest speakers from the energy industry, strategic offsites, as well as other opportunities for growth and development!
How You’ll Make an Impact:
As a Backend Developer, you’ll use leading-edge technologies to innovate high-load, highly concurrent, server applications that directly impact ecobee’s success. We encourage the freedom to investigate and evaluate new technologies to solve complex problems. As a result, your input will have a significant impact on our company and objectives.
You are not only familiar with how to get your code "live", from getting it reviewed, merged, then deployed on the cloud or in a data center, but also be able to see where improvements can be made. You care deeply about the stability of what you build so our customers have a great experience 24/7; this means being on a team that believes in and relies on metrics, a healthy on-call rotation to react to anomalies, and in general, creating wonderfully robust systems.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Finding new and better ways to solve complex problems
- Ability to dive into issues of scale, concurrency, massive data sets, security, redundancy, failover, and everything else in between
- Experience implementing and debugging microservices, using SQL databases, and leveraging Google Cloud Platform/AWS tooling and services
- We use Go and Java - so you're not shy of mixing it up because you understand the importance of "the right tool for the right job"
- Understanding of the craft of software development - automated testing, continuous integration and deployment, design patterns, etc.
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests of our development team - but we strive to build our team with members from diverse backgrounds and skill sets, so if any combination of these apply to you, we'd love to chat!
What happens after you apply:
Application review. It will happen by an actual person in Talent Acquisition. We get upwards of 100+ applications for some roles, it can take a few days, but every applicant can expect a note regarding their application status.
- A 30-minute phone call with a member of Talent Acquisition
- A first-round virtual interview with a few members of the development team in a pair programming exercise (we also have the option of a take-home technical test)
- The final round will be an interview with a cross-functional group of ecopeeps - expect technical, behavioural, and situational questions.
With ecobee, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Be part of something big: Get to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry.
- Make an environmental difference: Make a sustainable impact while on your daily job, and after it through programs like ecobee acts.
- Expand your career: Learn with our in-house learning enablement team, grow with our quarterly hackathons, and enjoy our generous professional learning budget.
- Put people first: Benefit from competitive salaries, health benefits, and a progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top-up or five bonus days off).
- Play a part on an exceptional culture: Enjoy a fun and casual workplace with an open concept office, located at Corus Quay.ecobeeLeeds is based at our riverside office on the Calls.
- Celebrate diversity: Be part of a truly welcoming workplace. We offer a mentorship program and bias training.
Are you interested? Let's make it work.
Our people are empowered to take ownership of their schedules with workflows that allow for flexible hours. Based on your job, you have an option of office,hybridor fully remote work. It is our top priority to keep employees safe.As we continue to take measures to keep employees safe in our offices, we have adopted a mandatory vaccine policy to be present in the physical Toronto office or other ecobee sponsored events in Ontario as of November 1, 2021. As such, to be in our office, it is required to acknowledge a formal attestation and submit accompanying proof of vaccination status. For the foreseeable future, we will be conducting ourinterviews and onboarding sessions through video. Newteam memberswill also be starting remotely, with all necessary equipment provided and shipped to them.
We’re committed to inclusion and accommodation.
ecobee believes that openness and diversity make us better. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds to apply regardless of race, gender, age, religion, identity, or any other aspect which makes them unique. Accommodations can be made upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have about virtual interviewing, onboarding, and future work locations.
We’re up to incredible things. Come and be part of them.
Discover our products and services and learn more about who we are.
Ready to join ecobee? View current openings.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
More jobs at ecobee
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada